Episode 4 of “What’s For Lunch” is the Top Round Pastrami Grilled Reuben! Grilled to perfection in a cast iron skillet, get you some! Ingredients, Nutrition Facts, and Directions below.
The Reuben is a kosher-style delicatessen sandwich, and I say “kosher-style” because it may not be considered kosher by some according to Jewish dietary regulations of kashrut.
This is due to the cheese it uses not following specific guidelines used in any meat-based animal product which would also include dairy. For this reason, many dairy products are excluded from kosher foods all together despite the fact that cheese does in fact come from cows which have split hooves; a specific requirement for kosher foods.
Technicalities aside! You’re going to love this timeless deli classic. And we’re going to grill it in a cast iron skillet making it a grilled cheese, which makes it even better.
Oh and I chose Boar’s Head brand Top Round Pastrami for my meat, since Boar’s Head in my opinion should be a standard in anyone’s home who has access to it.
Ingredients: (Makes 1 Sandwich)
- 4 Ounces Deli Shaved Pastrami.
- 2 Slices Rye Bread.
- 2 Ounces Sauerkraut (1/4 Cup).
- 1 Tablespoon Thousand Island Dressing.
- 2 Slices Baby Swiss Cheese.
Nutrition Facts: (Per 1 Serving)
- Calories: 540
- Total Fat: 24g
- – Saturated: 10g
- – Trans: 0g
- – Poly: 1g
- – Mono: 3g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 2,220mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 32g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Sugar: 4g
- Protein: 40g
- Vitamin D: 0%
- Calcium: 25%
- Iron: 12%
- Potassium: 362mg
- Vitamin A: 10%
- Vitamin C: 5%
- Gradually heat a cast iron skillet to medium-low heat.
- Once skillet is heated, hit it with a light spray of Avocado Oil and add in your pastrami. Cook for about 3-4 minutes then flip.
- As soon as meat is flipped top it with two slices of baby swiss cheese, then sauerkraut.
- Spray one side of your bottom slice of Rye bread with Avocado oil and add that to the skillet as well. After a minute or so passes, transfer pastrami topped with baby swiss and sauerkraut to your bottom slice of bread.
- Drizzle Thousand Island or Russian Dressing over top of your sauerkraut. Check underneath bottom slice of bread regularly until it is grilled to desired preference. Once ready, top sandwich with your top slice of bread and flip.
- Grill top side for about 3-4 minutes, checking regularly so it doesn’t burn. Once grilled to desired preference remove from heat, cut in half, and serve!