If blondes are fun but brunettes are dirty… I think that’s how it goes… Then say hello to the Margarita’s very bad friend that she doesn’t want you hanging out with, the Paloma.
This adult beverage is bitter, salty, and yet refreshing. It’s also not as complicated as you’d think. I think…
In its most simple of forms this drink only requires 1.5 ounces of Tequila (U.S. Standard Pour), a can of Grapefruit flavored sparkling soda, some ice, and a glass to fill it in. Forget the garnish, forget the lime juice, forget the salted rim, yada yada. If you’re just trying to get your dink on you don’t need much to make this happen.
Traditionally however, you would use freshly squeezed juice from a grapefruit. If you have a juicer and don’t mind the mess then I say go for it. But if you’re like me and you don’t want the mess then just use 100% real grapefruit juice instead.
So the way to make this drink like an at-home bartender would be to rim a rocks glass with a lime wedge, salt the rim in Margarita salt, squeeze the remaining lime wedge into the glass to get some freshly squeezed lime juice… then fill it up with ice.
From there you just add in 1.5 ounces of Tequila of choice, and fill the glass by sight using a one-to-one ratio of grapefruit juice and then club soda.
Garnish it with a quarter of a fresh grapefruit wheel slice and you’re good to go!
Bitter, salty, and get’s your juices flowing.
- 1.5 ounces Tequila
- 0.5 ounces Lime Juice
- Equal Parts – Grapefruit Juice and Club Soda.
- Margarita Salt to rim glass
- Grapefruit cut into a slice, then quartered for garnishes.
- Cut a wheel slice off of the center of a grapefruit. Take the whole wheel then cut it into quarter pieces to be used as a garnish.
- Cut a lime into quarter wedges. One wedge per drink.
- Rim a rocks glass with a lime wedge, then rim the rocks glass in Margarita salt.
- Fill glass with ice cubs then squeeze lime wedge into glass to get fresh squeezed lime juice.
- Add 1.5 ounces of Tequila.
- Fill glass half way with Grapefruit Juice.
- Fill glass to the top with Club Soda.
- Place one quartered Grapefruit slice as a garnish on rim of glass then serve!
Please drink responsibly. Always have a designated driver, or drink at home and if there are guests over make arrangements for them to stay the night before returning home the following day.