Turning one of my life long favorite foods into an easy Crock Pot recipe that’s SLAMMING is the whole reason I got into the cooking game. Great for parties, dinner, meal prep, or anytime!
I love using crock pots, let me just start by saying that. I also love tacos. As a kid I really didn’t love anything more than taco night. And with four kids and a very tight budget, as in our budget was determined by the lack of money my parents had to spend, there was no set taco night and there was no knowing of how long it would be before we would have tacos again. We usually were happy with grilled cheese or fried baloney hats. But when mom said she was making tacos tonight, me and my siblings would lose it!
Admittedly, when I go out to Mexican restaurants as an adult I order everything else that they have to offer instead of just going for tacos. I guess there’s just so much else to try and I can’t decide. But at home tacos are still king, even today as I approach forty years of age.
Anyhow the goal here was to make a slow cooker chicken taco recipe and to keep it as simple as possible. At the same time the goal was to get the time, temperature, and space ratio right to make the chicken as tender as possible… And yet AGAIN the goal was to still allow enough flexibility so that you can add whatever toppings possible! All while keeping it budget friendly.
After a handful of attempts and advice from others, I finally got it right. And it really is simple. Oh and the meat is so tender it falls apart as soon as you touch it with a fork. And with only four ingredients it’s a base that can be topped with anything you want, all while keeping it budget friendly. So there you go. Now enough talk let’s get to it!
Ingredients: (Serves 8 Adults)
- 2 lbs. Chicken Breast
- 1 package of Old El Paso brand Slow Cooker Seasoning Mix for Chipotle Chicken
- 16 ounce jar of Herdez Salsa
- 4 ounces of Green Chilis
- Calories: 144.5
- Total Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 75mg
- Sodium: 841.3mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 5.8g
- Sugar: 2.8g
- Protein: 26g
- Vitamin D: 0%
- Calcium: 0%
- Iron: 8%
- Potassium: 0mg
- Vitamin A: 0%
- Vitamin C: 4%
- Add chicken breasts to a 4.5 quart CrockPot slow cooker.
- Add in 1 package of Old El Paso brand’s “Slow Cooker Seasoning Mix” for Chipotle Chicken.
- Add in Green Chilis.
- Mix ingredients together, allowing everything to combine and layer between meat.
- Set to LOW and cook for 6 hours. Yes 6 hours! No less, and on LOW temperature.
- Using a pair of forks, shred chicken while it’s still in the slow cooker do not remove the chicken while doing this. Chicken should be so tender it starts to shred on its own as you touch it with a fork. As chicken shreds down into fine strands it will coat in all of the flavor and liquid in the crockpot. So you really do want to shred it right there in the slow cooker.
- Serve however you desire. Set up as many toppings as you’d like; shredded lettuce, grated cheese (or queso!), cilantro, sour cream, the choice is yours! If you want it spicy you can set aside some taco sauce, Texas Pete, or even diced jalapenos.
TIP: “Mission” brand of tortillas makes a small tortilla called “Street Tacos” and they come in flour or corn, and they’re perfect for crock pot chicken tacos at parties! Get some cheap plastic taco stands too, like I did in the video I promise you won’t regret it. I think I got 8 stands for 4 bucks. It makes it so much easier on everyone when they’re building their tacos. And they’re dishwasher safe which is always cool.
Let me know what you think! It’s enough to feed eight adults three street tacos each for less than $15. So you can see how this would work out for parties where you may have two or three crock pots going in addition to chips, dips, etc.